Tile is a popular choice for showering, but it’s not the only one!
Many other materials can be used to create a beautiful and functional shower. In this blog post, we will discuss 10 of the best alternatives to tile for your shower.
Each has its own benefits and drawbacks, so read on to find out which one is right for you!
9 Alternatives to Tile in Shower
Acrylic panels are a type of material commonly used in shower enclosures. They have several benefits that make them a popular choice for many homeowners.
Benefits of Acrylic Panels
- One of the biggest benefits of acrylic panels is that they are very easy to clean and maintain. Soap scum and mildew build-up are no match for a good cleaning solution and a little elbow grease.
- These panels do not require any special cleaners or treatments like some other types of showers do.
- Acrylic panels are also extremely durable. They are resistant to chipping, cracking, and breaking, making them a great option for busy households with children or pets.
- Acrylic panels will not rust or corrode like some other types of showers.
- Acrylic panels are also a great insulator. This means that they will help keep your shower water warmer for longer, which can be a huge bonus in the winter months.
Drawbacks of Acrylic Panels
There are a few drawbacks to acrylic panels that you should be aware of before making your final decision.
- They can scratch more easily than some other types of showers.
- They may yellow over time if exposed to direct sunlight.
- Acrylic panels are not as heat-resistant as some other materials. This means that you need to be careful when using hot water or steam in your shower, as it could cause the panels to warp.
Overall, acrylic panels are a great option for shower enclosures. They are easy to clean and maintain, durable, and a great insulator. Just be aware of their few drawbacks before making your final decision.
2. PVC Panels
PVC panels have become a popular choice for bathroom showers, as they are easy to install and maintain. However, there are some pros and cons to consider before choosing PVC panels for your shower.
Advantages of PVC panels for showers:
- PVC panels are very easy to install. They can be cut to size and fit directly onto existing walls or studs.
- PVC panels are waterproof and mold-resistant, making them a good option for bathrooms that tend to get wet or humid.
PVC panels are available in a variety of colors and styles, so you can find an option that fits your bathroom’s decor.
- PVC panels are relatively inexpensive compared to other shower materials such as tile or stone.
Disadvantages of PVC panels for showers:
- PVC panels can become damaged by water over time, so they may not be the best choice for showers that get a lot of use.
- PVC panels can also Yellow or fade in direct sunlight.
- Some people find the plastic appearance of PVC panels to be less attractive than tile or stone.
- PVC panels may not be as durable as other materials, so they may need to be replaced more often.
Glass is a versatile material that can be used for a variety of applications, including showers.
While tile has been the traditional material used for showers, glass is becoming an increasingly popular option, due to its many benefits.
Below, we’ll explore some of the advantages and disadvantages of using glass in your shower, to help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.
Benefits of Using Glass in Your Shower:
- Easy to clean – Glass is non-porous and smooth, making it very easy to clean and maintain. Simply wiping it down with soap and water will keep it looking like new.
- Stylish – Glass can give your shower a sleek, modern look that is sure to impress.
- Customizable – Glass can be customized to fit any space and style, making it a great option for those who want a unique shower that fits their specific needs.
- Durable – When properly cared for, glass is incredibly durable and can last for many years.
Disadvantages of Using Glass in Your Shower:
- Cost – Glass showers can be more expensive than tile showers, due to the cost of materials and installation.
- Maintenance – While glass is easy to clean, it is also more fragile than tile and may require special care to avoid damage.
- Weight – Glass is heavier than tile, which can make installation more difficult and costly.
Overall, glass is a great option for those looking for an easy-to-clean, stylish, and durable shower material. However, it is important to keep in mind the potential disadvantages before making a final decision.
4. Stainless steel
Stainless steel for showers is a great alternative to tile for several reasons.
Advantages of stainless steel for your shower:
- It is much more durable than tile. It is resistant to cracking and chipping, and it won’t stain or discolor over time.
- Stainless steel is also very easy to clean; simply wipe it down with a mild cleaner and water to keep it looking like new.
- Another advantage of using stainless steel for your shower is that it creates a sleek, modern look. Tile can be beautiful, but it can also look dated after a while. Stainless steel has a timeless appeal that will never go out of style.
- Stainless steel can sometimes be more affordable option than tile. If you’re looking for ways to save money on your shower renovation, stainless steel is a great choice.
Disadvantages of stainless steel for your shower:
- Stainless steel can be slippery when wet, so it’s important to choose a non-slip variety or add a textured mat or rug to the bottom of your shower.
- Stainless steel can scratch more easily than tile, so it’s important to take care when cleaning it. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, and instead, use a soft cloth or sponge with a mild cleaner.
Overall, stainless steel is a great alternative to tile for showers. It is more durable, easy to clean, and stylish, and it can also save you money. However, it is important to keep in mind the potential disadvantages before making a final decision.
Concrete is not just for sidewalks and driveways anymore.
It is becoming a popular material for showers, as it can provide a sleek, modern look.
There are several benefits to using concrete for your shower, including durability, easy maintenance, and customization options. However, there are also some potential drawbacks to be aware of, such as the risk of cracking and the need for professional installation.
If you’re considering using concrete for your shower, weigh the pros and cons carefully to decide if it’s the right choice for you.
Advantages of using concrete for showers:
- Durability: Concrete is an incredibly durable material, which means it can withstand a lot of wear and tear. A concrete shower is likely to last many years, even with daily use.
- Easy Maintenance: Concrete is also easy to clean and maintain. Unlike tile, there are no grout lines to trap dirt and mildew. Simply wipe down the surface with a damp cloth to keep it looking like new.
- Customization Options: Concrete can be customized to match any décor style. It can be stained, painted, or even textured to create a unique look.
Disadvantages of using concrete for showers:
- Risk of Cracking: One downside of concrete showers is that the material is susceptible to cracking. This can happen if the concrete is not mixed correctly or if it dries too quickly. Be sure to hire a experienced professional to install your concrete shower to minimize the risk of cracking.
- Professional Installation Required: Concrete showers must be installed by a qualified professional. If you attempt to do it yourself, you could end up with a subpar results or even cause damage to your home.
- Cost: Concrete showers can be more expensive than traditional tile showers. However, they are a long-term investment that will likely last for many years, so you may save money in the long run.
Marble is a luxurious material that has been used for centuries in some of the most beautiful homes and buildings around the world.
While it’s more expensive than tile, many homeowners are choosing marble for their showers because of its beauty and durability.
If you’re considering marble for your shower, here are some of the pros and cons to help you make your decision:
Advantages of marble for showers:
- Marble is a very strong and durable material that will last for years.
- Marble is easy to clean and maintain.
- Marble can resist mold and mildew.
- Marble is a beautiful material that can add value to your home.
Disadvantages of marble for showers:
- Marble is a very expensive material.
- Marble can be difficult to install.
- Marble is a porous material and can stain easily if not sealed properly.
- Marble requires regular maintenance to keep it looking its best.
If you’re considering marble for your shower, weigh the pros and cons carefully to decide if it’s the right choice for you.
Paint is another popular material used for showers, especially in replacement of tile.
There are many benefits to using paint over tile, including the fact that it is much cheaper and easier to install.
Additionally, paint can be easily customized to match any desired look or style. However, one downside to painting showers is that the paint can chip and peel over time, requiring touch-ups or even a complete repaint.
When considering paint for your shower, be sure to choose a high-quality product that is designed specifically for use in wet areas.
If it were up to us, we would steer clear of specialty paint for showers!
8. Stone Resin
Stone resin is a material that is becoming increasingly popular for use in showers.
It has many benefits over traditional materials like tile, including the fact that it is more durable and easier to clean.
Stone resin can also be customized to match any desired look or style. However, one downside to stone resin is that it is more expensive than other materials.
When considering stone resin for your shower, be sure to compare prices and get quotes from multiple contractors to ensure you are getting the best deal.
9.Wood Shower Walls
Wood shower walls are a popular option in replacement of tile.
Advantages of wood shower walls:
- They give the bathroom a more organic look, and can be easily customized to fit any space.
- They are also easy to clean and maintain.
Disadvantages of wood shower walls:
- They are not as durable as tile, and may require more frequent replacement.
When deciding on whether or not to use wood shower walls in your bathroom, consider the pros and cons carefully to decide what is best for you and your home.
What Type of Walls are Better Than Tile in a Shower?
One type of wall that is often used in showers is tile. While tile can be a beautiful addition to any shower, it does have some drawbacks. One of the biggest problems with tile is that it can be difficult to clean. Tile can also crack and chip over time, which can create maintenance issues.
Another option for shower walls is stone. Stone is a durable material that is easy to clean and maintain. Stone also has a natural beauty that tile cannot match. If you are looking for an alternative to tile, consider using stone for your shower walls.
Another option for shower walls is glass. Glass is a beautiful material that is easy to clean and maintain. Glass also allows light to enter the shower, which can create a more open and airy feel. If you are looking for an alternative to tile, consider using glass for your shower walls.
If you are not sure what type of wall to use in your shower, consult with a contractor or designer. They will be able to help you choose the best option for your home.
Is there Groutless Tile For Showers?
No, there is no such thing as groutless tile for showers. Shower tile must be grouted in order to be properly sealed and protected from water damage.
How Can I Waterproof My Shower Without Tile?
If you’re looking for a way to waterproof your shower without tile, there are a few things you can do.
One option is to use a sealant or waterproofing agent on the walls and floor of your shower. This will help to create a barrier between the water and the surfaces of your shower, keeping them dry and protected.
Another option is to install a waterproof surround in your shower. This can be done by either taping it to the walls or ceiling, or by using adhesive strips. Either way, this will create an additional layer of protection against water damage.
Finally, make sure that any cracks or gaps in your shower are properly sealed. Caulking or expanding foam can be used for this purpose.
By taking these simple precautions, you can help to keep your shower dry and protected from water damage.
Is it Cheaper to Tile a Shower or Buy a Surround?
The answer to this question depends on a number of factors, including the cost of materials, the time and effort required to install tile, and the finished look you’re hoping to achieve. If you’re considering tiling your shower, here are a few things to keep in mind.
Cost of Materials
When it comes to the cost of materials, tile is typically more expensive than a shower surround.
Tile can range in price from $0.50 to $100.00+ per square foot, while shower surrounds typically start at $100.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that the type of tile you choose will have a big impact on the overall cost.
For example, natural stone or ceramic tile will be more expensive than porcelain or glass tile.
Time and Effort Required
Installing tile can be a time-consuming and labor-intensive project.
If you’re not comfortable with the idea of taking on this type of project yourself, you’ll need to hire a professional to do it for you. This will add to the overall cost of your project.
The finished look you’re hoping to achieve will also play a role in your decision. Tile can give your shower a high-end, custom look that is difficult to achieve with a shower surround. On the other hand, shower surrounds are much easier to install and can provide a clean, finished look with minimal effort.
When it comes to deciding whether to tile your shower or install a surround, there is no right or wrong answer. The best way to decide is to weigh the pros and cons of each option and decide which one is best for your particular situation.
What is the Cheapest Shower Wall Material?
There are a few different types of shower wall materials that you can choose from, and the cheapest option will vary depending on the material itself and the installation costs.
Some of the most popular shower wall materials include tile, acrylic, fiberglass, and stone.
Tile is typically the cheapest option when it comes to shower wall materials.
You can find tile for as little as $0.50 per square foot, making it an affordable option for those on a budget.
Acrylic is another cheap shower wall material, costing around $2.50 per square foot.
Fiberglass is slightly more expensive than both tile and acrylic, but still relatively affordable at $3.00 per square foot.
Finally, stone is the most expensive option with prices
Is it Better to have a Prefabricated Shower or Custom Tile?
7 Inexpensive ways to Waterproof your Shower
Below are 7 inexpensive ways to waterproof your shower!
1. Use a shower surround: A shower surround is a great way to waterproof your shower and protect it from mold and mildew. It’s also relatively inexpensive and easy to install. You can find shower surrounds at most home improvement stores.
2. Apply a sealant: Another way to waterproof your shower is to apply a sealant to the walls and floor. This will help create a barrier between the water and the surface, preventing moisture from seeping in. You can find sealants at most hardware stores.
3. Use caulk: Caulking is another great way to waterproof your shower. It helps fill in any gaps or cracks that might allow water to seep through. You can find caulk at most hardware stores.
4. Install a shower pan: A shower pan is a great way to waterproof your shower and keep it looking new. It’s also relatively inexpensive and easy to install. You can find shower pans at most home improvement stores.
5. Use tiles: Tiles are a great way to waterproof your shower and give it an updated look. They’re also relatively inexpensive and easy to install. You can find tiles at most home improvement stores.
6. Install a glass shower door: A glass shower door is a great way to waterproof your shower and keep it looking new. It’s also relatively inexpensive and easy to install. You can find glass shower doors at most home improvement stores.
7. Use a shower curtain: A shower curtain is a great way to waterproof your shower and keep it looking new. It’s also relatively inexpensive and easy to install. You can find shower curtains at most home improvement stores.